This post will be solely created by a request of a company member of mine 🙂
What is a Retainer?
An NPC *lol what else* that can be hired to store (up to 175 items) and sell items (max. 20 items) as well as being able to take a job and obtain job-related items.
The system grants access to 2 retainers after finishing the main story quest “The Scions of the Seventh Dawn”.
It is possible to acquire up to 6 more retainers through the Mog Station (this costs real money!).
How to obtain a Retainer?
After finishing the quest mentioned above you need to talk to a Retainer Vocate (they do have names but the tag for Retainer Vocate is shown directly below their name) in any of the four big cities (Gridania, Limsa, Ul’dah, Ishgard). There you will have several options:
- Hire a Retainer – Bitch please! Your first step to create your very own “slave” 😛 This will lead to a character creation menu to choose race, tribe, appearance. After this you can choose from 6 behaviors. Lastly choose the name of your retainer (only first name required).
- Dispatch Retainer to (city name) – This can be changed at any given time. Your first retainer will be dispatched to the city you register it in (basically the one you are a company member of). So if you are a member of the Serpents, you talk to the NPC in Gridania and your retainer will be selling in Gridania. If you want to change the city state you need to go to any of the other 3 to change this.
- Release a Retainer – This is your way to say “Go to hell bitch”. Instant delete of your retainer.
- Ask about Retainers – Your FAQ for the basics of retainers.
- Inquire about Retainer jobs– Buy a Job Scroll for retainers for 40 Ventures each. Hint: You can only have ONE Job Scroll in your inventory at a time.
- View Market Tax Rates – Shows the tax rates of the city you are in right now. Every item you want to sell will be taxed.
Hint: As a buyer you can avoid paying taxes simply by teleporting to the related city the retainer you buy items from. You will know by checking the symbol next to the name of the retainer selling items.
Yellow = Gridania, Red = Limsa, Brown = Uldah, Blue = Ishgard.
(E.G.: A retainer sells in Gridania, you are located in Limsa. Price of item is 1000 gil. Tax is 5%. The system will add 5% tax based on your location to retainer’s location = 50 gil. So you pay 1050 gil for the item. While if you buy it in Gridania you pay 1000 gil. Of course in this case there might be a more expensive teleport fee for this (if you don’t have the free teleport or Home) but with items which are more valuable you can avoid to pay too much fee 🙂
This is an example and does not reflect any server’s real tax fees!)
How to access a Retainer?
Summoning Bell. Summoning Bell. Summoning Bell!
Talk to your lovely slave through that and see brand-new options to choose from:
- Entrust or withdraw items – Your new storage for 175 items, including untradeable items, and shards, crystals and clusters.
Since Patch 3.2 it is possible to directly sell items through a retainer (instead of searching for the next NPC you can sell useless items to). If you did sell a wrong item you will have the “Item Buyback” option as a 3rd option in your retainers menu. Please be aware that you can not buy back items when you closed the retainer menu.
- Entrust or withdraw gil – Your new storage for money. You can also withdraw money for items that your retainer sold on the market.
- Item Buyback – Only available when you sold an item through your retainer. This option will disappear as soon as you closed the retainer’s menu.
- Sell items in your inventory on the market – Self-explaining huh? 🙂 Also shows the list of current items for sale. Max. 20 items possible.
- Sell items in your retainer’s inventory on the market – Self-explaining again? 🙂 Also shows the list of current items for sale. Max. 20 items possible.
- View sale history – You can check which item was sold for which price (after taxes) and who bought it.
- View venture report – You can check the status of the current venture the retainer is put on.
- Assign venture – Requires a Retainer Venture. A retainer can go on a trip to get materials for you.
– Hunting / Mining / Botany / Fishing Exploration – Basic option. Sends out retainer to gain a specific item which you need to have received yourself through fighting or gathering. This is timed to 40 – 60 minutes.
– Field / Highland / Woodland / Waterside Exploration – Timed to 18 hours. Received results are randomized depending on the chosen exploration rank.
– Quick Exploration – Available after you reached level 10 with a retainer. Brings a random item and EXP depending on the item gained.
Each of the above options will cost a certain amount of Ventures.
- View Retainer attributes and gear – This opens a character menu where you can equip your retainer.
- Reset Retainer class – You can choose a class for your retainer. Please note that you can only choose classes you learned yourself. The retainer can only be as high in level as you are in this very class.
- Quit – Leave your retainer’s menu (this will also send your retainer back to the market to sell).
How do you gain access to the Venture System?
Depending on your company you will need to complete either of the following quests:
An Ill-conceived Venture (Gridania)
An Ill-conceived Venture (Limsa)
An Ill-conceived Venture (Ul’dah)
Each one of them are given by the Troubled Adventurer in each of the cities.
After completion you can send out your retainer on ventures – as long as you chose a class for your retainer.
The interface will add certain new options:
- Number of remaining ventures
- View venture report
- Assign venture
- View retainer attributes and gear
- Assign retainer class
How to obtain Ventures?
There are various ways to do so:
Guildhests, buying with company seals or hunt seals or tribe seals, rewards from tribe quests, …
How to assign a class to your Retainer?
Choose a class (Disciple of Magic or War or Land or Hand) for your retainer and equip a main weapon (level 1). Your retainer can go on ventures as soon as you did this.
Please note that you only can choose a class that you learned yourself.
You can change the chosen class at any time.
Which gear should you equip to your Retainer?
The best possible for its basic level 🙂 Some ventures can not be accessed if you don’t have the right Item Level.
Gear durability is not affected by wearing items. Spiritbonding proceeds at a very slow rate compared to if a player would wear the gear.
How to change the appearance of your Retainer?
Retainer Fantasia. This is an item you can receive when sending your retainer on a Quick Exploration. With this item you can change the appearance, race, tribe and gender of your retainer. You could also rename your buddy.
Talk to the Retainer Vocate in any city after using the item.
Steps to appearance change: Get a Retainer Fantasia – use it – talk to a Retainer Vocate and follow the steps given by the NPC.
How to add a job to your Retainer?
With the release of Patch 3.2 there is the possibility to assign jobs to your retainers. This is however only possible for the Disciples of War and Magic (we don’t have “jobs” for Gathering and Crafting because well… these ARE jobs 😛 ).
The retainer must be level 30+ and the player itself must be level 50+ in their respective class/job to be able to get the job.
Also the jobs Dark Knight, Machinist and Astrologian were added to the choice pool. The retainer must be level 50+ in any class and the player must have obtained level 50+ of the chosen class.
Buy a Job Scroll for 40 Ventures from any Retainer Vocate and talk to your retainer to add the desired job in the menu (you can only have ONE Job Scroll in your inventory so if you want to change more then one retainer, you need to repeat this – thankfully the Vocate is close to a Bell in every city).
This will then add a job crystal to the retainers equipment declaring it to have the assigned job and you can equip the job equip now.
E.G.: A Level 60 Archer is now a legit Level 60 Bard.
Reason for doing this?
1. Higher item level (might be required sooner or later for new ventures – take the hint)
2. Equip the stuff that you can not desynthesize or spend to gain company seals \0/
3. LOOKS! 😛 Kidding. Although most specified job gear do look awesome~