I was watching a DVD yesterday. I closed the app after the movie ended and my PS4 went into “Safe Mode”.
DUH! WHAT! DAFAQ!?!
I tried to restart, update, disconnecting it from its cable and internet – it didn’t go out of “Safe Mode”. It took me 30 minutes of panic to google through how to get out of it WITHOUT DELETING my data and saved media.
So after reading a lot of (bullshit) comments, I finally found some information and videos on how to reset the PS4 to normal mode without deleting stuff.
Link to the dude’s video that saved my PS4’s ass 🙂 (!the cat is so cute!)
If you don’t want to watch, here are the steps:
- Get a cable and connect your controller
- Press the PS button
- In the menu: Choose option 4 “Restore Default Settings“
- Click “yes” on the message popping up (YOU WILL NOT LOOSE DATA)
- Wait for the Initializing to be finished (if you turned off notifications for updates it might update to the newest version as well, just let it do whatever it needs to do)
- Wait for PS4 to restart – Wait for PS4 to check your system storage – Wait for PS4 to restart again (if there is an update it might take 1-2 additional restarts for the PS4 to initialize and install)
- As soon as the blue screen with the controller introduction shows: Push the PS button on your controller
- Set your Language Preference
- Set your Internet Connection (the dude in the video skipped it as it is not necessary for the vid and if he would have done so everyone would know his password)
- Skip the PS camera if you don’t have it (connected)
- Set your Time Preference
- Select Date and Time (should be automated if you are connected to the internet)
- Select your Media Playback and General (Applications) if it is not defaulted – or just click Next *this can be changed later*
- Select the settings for “Rest Mode” – or just click Next *this can be changed later*
- Press “Start Now“
- The next screen should show “New User” and your user name OR “temp-user…/home”
- Select your user name or the temp user
- If you log in as temp user: Login to PSN to use your applications as before, no data loss!
If you log in with your user name: Everything will be as before – no data loss!
You only need to change your preferences in “Settings” and choose your “Theme” as these things will be indeed reset by the system! 🙂
Hope this helps. Please watch the video for the steps if you are uncertain about my description 🙂